Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Ever get tired of chicken?

I get tired of chicken. Meat in general. I guess I am just not much of a meat eater (unlike my husband). Although the thought of going completely without it, all the time, isn't necessarily something I want, either. I just need to think of a more methods of cooking it. So last night, even though my husband acted like he wouldn't be hungry for dinner, I was going to cook that thawed chicken. AND use some of that fresh produce before it went bad! That's not only healthy food waiting to go into our bodies, but good money I don't want going down the drain!

So a big meal I did cook. With it being over 90 degrees outside, I was in no mood wanting to use the oven. And since my husband hinted at having eaten not very long ago when we had met in town, I figured he wouldn't want to grill (aside from the searing hot sun). I cannot stand meat with no texture - it's as plain and boring as a big 'ol blank wall is to an artist. I even find that big, blank and an eyesore and I am no artist!

After opening the package and NOT rinsing the chicken (I read an article that argued it might actually spread more germs in rinsing the meat, whereas cooking it kills the germs anyway, and I have always thought this anyway), I poked holes in it and tried out some brand spanking new spices. Not new or new-to-me spices. But spices I have not tried together before. Remember, I am typically a recipe FOLLOW-ER so branching out on my own was a bit nerve-wrecking! Click on the Menu tab to see the recipe.

Then I tossed them in the skillet, in a bit of pure virgin Olive Oil, turned the burner up on mid-high to high, and browned them. Once they were nicely seared on each side, I turned the burner down to mid-low to cook them the rest of the way and added some more stuff for flavor and sauce (click on Menu tab for info).

I ended up using the oven for about 15-20 minutes (I know, I know...). But the asparagus and radishes turned out yummy! (Menu tab!) We also had some potatoes with the meal. These may not be on the 'healthy' part, but they sure were a nice addition. One small step at a time for my family. Must use what we have and do what we can. :)

How are YOU doing? Better than us? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment